Monday, August 1, 2016

City Daily Photo Theme Day: My City's Skyline

The first day of the month is a theme day for members of City Daily Photo, and for August, the theme is My City's Skyline, as chosen by Tamera of Colorado Springs Daily Photo. You can see how others are taking on this theme here.

I have several selections. This first one was taken from Nepean Point on one of those brooding days back in May, taking in the view to Parliament Hill looming over the Ottawa River.


This shot is also from May, but taken on a different day. The sculpture of an Anishinaabe scout is placed here at the north end of Major's Hill Park, one of a number of shots I took. I showed other takes on it in my post from yesterday.


This is a view I haven't shown before, looking towards the downtown core from the south. I came up to the Billings Bridge transit station one day back in June and photographed the view. The complex in the foreground is the Billings Bridge mall.


On the first weekend of June, we had Doors Open here in Ottawa, a tour of many buildings being opened to the public. One of my stops was on the Ottawa River, at the Ottawa Rowing Club. Taking leave of the place, I photographed this view of the river, with the skyline of Gatineau, Quebec on the other side.


This view is close to the Bayview transit station, looking east towards the downtown core one morning last month. Looking at the left side of the jumble of buildings, you might make out the Peace Tower on Parliament Hill.


And I finish with these shots from Canada Day, when I stopped in at the Museum of Nature. The glass tower at its center is called the Queens' Lantern, and gives a good view north up Metcalfe Street. The second view looks west towards the Landscapes of Canada Gardens, which I featured a few days ago.

35 comments:

  1. The skies and clouds in your photos make a lovely frame!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pictures that invite you to dream.

    Tomás.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While the blue skies are great to see, I love the brooding view of the city skyline. A sense of quiet drama in that photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i really like the first two and the reflection shots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Linda: thanks!

    @Cloudia: yes.

    @Tomas: definitely.

    @Hilary: thanks!

    @Gemma: I went for that too.

    @Tex: thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent views of your city skyline William , particularly the first and second shots, super views!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Many interesting views your cities skyline.
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lots of fabulous shots to fit this theme here! Gotta agree with Mum, love the first 2

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have a good collection of a variety of skylines with a different perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  10. All excellent choices, William!

    ReplyDelete
  11. great set william...my favorite is the one of us heading into downtown and the sun shining through the tree!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think my favorite one is the reflection shot! Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have an interesting variety of Ottawa skyline photos. The reflection shots are winners.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful images William. My favorite is the second one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A truly majestic city and skyline!

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Grace: thanks!

    @MB: indeed.

    @Aimee: thank you!

    @Kate: I enjoyed this theme.

    @Norma: thank you!

    @Tanya: and that was pure chance being there.

    @Sharon: thank you!

    @Red: thanks!

    @Bill: that seems popular.

    @Lowell: it is a good place to live in.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great skyline photos! I really love the view of river, with skyline of Gatineau.

    Happy August!

    ReplyDelete
  18. A nice selection for today's theme!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The first is my favourite, William!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I specially like nr. two and I love nr. six. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. enjoy the window wall. very neat! ( ;

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice photos. I think the second one is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Huge city. Great city skyline photos.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great shots, William! I had a devil of a time trying to capture my town's skyline.

    ReplyDelete
  25. @Tamago: thanks!

    @Marleen: thank you.

    @RedPat: that seems popular.

    @Jan: thanks!

    @Beth: it is an architectural detail I like.

    @Lois: thank you!

    @Mari: geographically both cities are very large.

    @Linda: I have to start looking at other posts. I have been mostly offline the last couple of days.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great shots with interesting skylines, William !

    ReplyDelete
  27. My favourite is the fourth one. Thanks for sharing these views from your city.

    ReplyDelete
  28. A pleasure to scroll through your take on skylines of your beautiful city!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Really nice photos William! I really love the mix of the old and new there.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Ottawa has a skyline to be proud of!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I like the one with the Indian of course. I don't know if it's the most representative!

    ReplyDelete
  32. @Karl: thanks!

    @MDP: you're welcome.

    @Merisi: a pleasure to show it.

    @Pat: so do I.

    @Halcyon: it does.

    @Birgitta: thank you.

    @LDP: it's a good perspective. I haven't photographed the Scout in awhile.

    ReplyDelete