Thursday, April 20, 2017

Expressions

The Bridge At Narni is the title of this 1827 oil painting by the French artist Camille Corot, depicting a scene in the Italian countryside.


Jacobina Copland is the subject for this oil painting, done at some point between 1794-98 by the British artist Henry Raeburn.


The Salutation Of Beatrice is the work of Dante Gabriel Rossetti, a British painter, dating at some point between 1859-63. It's oil and gold leaf on wood instead of canvas, depicting two scenes from Dante Aligheri's New Life and Divine Comedy.  


Windsor Castle From The Great Park is the title of this 1846 landscape by British artist David Cox the Elder.


I took another look at The Letter, an oil painting from around 1878 by the French artist James Tissot, which depicts a woman in the Dutch Garden of Holland House in London.


Last time I visited, I also photographed this, but at the time forgot to catch the display with the details. Spring is an 1873 marble bust by the French artist Jean-Baptiste Carpeaux. The playful expression is eye catching.


Today I finish with Portrait Of A Woman (After A 16th Century Florentine Drawing), an oil painting done by Edgar Degas around 1858-59. Degas paid a visit to the Uffizi Gallery in Florence in 1858, and as artists do, made copies of the works of the Old Masters in chalk, including one attributed to Leonardo. He proceeded to make a full painting of his copy from that, and here we have it.

32 comments:

  1. I love all the paintings in this series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liked the Tissot the best, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, lovely collection of paintings. I think the landscapes are my favorite. The first Italian countryside and view of Windsor Castle are beautiful scenes. Happy Thursday, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Linda: thanks!

    @Halcyon: indeed.

    @Francisco: thank you.

    @Marleen: I thought so.

    @Revrunner: it is a good one.

    @Tom: I agree.

    @Eileen: thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful paintings, especially love the nature paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lifetimes of treasure, William. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great paintings again, William !

    ReplyDelete
  8. These pictures certainly give us a different look at life...life from a different age.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That bust is my favorite. It's so expressive.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Nancy: me too.

    @Cloudia: you're welcome.

    @Karl: thank you!

    @Red: they do indeed.

    @Sharon: it really is.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looking at these beautiful photos of classic art, William, made me want to add a plug for a series I have been watching on Acorn streaming TV. It's called The Art of the Heist and I highly recommend the show. Each episode is about an hour long and quite fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These landscapes paintings are great. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that happy, expressive sculpture of spring!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful examples of how art changed by the 1800's.

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Beatrice: I've seen some of that.

    @Klara: you're welcome.

    @Bill: I certainly think so.

    @Eve: me too!

    @Mari: very much so!

    ReplyDelete
  16. More beautiful art! I especially like that second painting of the lady in white.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That bust is captivating. It's wonderful in closer view.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oohhh, those no arms. Those always creep me out.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Marvelous series William, thank you so much for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very nice. I enjoy seeing these.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Carpeaux...amazing detail. I will certainly look more at his work.
    Thank you for the lovely photographs

    ReplyDelete
  22. The marble busts are exquisite William!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for sharing these ...

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  24. @Lois: so do I.

    @Kay: it is, yes.

    @Whisk: I like them.

    @Denise: you're welcome.

    @Linda: thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  25. @Maywyn: you're welcome.

    @Grace: I agree.

    @Norma: definitely.

    @Jennifer: they are.

    @Jan: you're welcome.

    ReplyDelete