Tuesday, April 11, 2017

The National Gallery

As I mentioned a few days ago, I made a visit in March to the National Gallery of Canada to take in an exhibit before it came to an end. I approached the main entrance from the north, framing it with Notre Dame across the street. The Gallery has roots that date back to 1880, and has been here at the Sussex Drive location since 1988 in a granite and glass building designed by architect Moshe Safdie. 


Heading in, I paused to photograph the view south, taking in the American embassy, the Connaught Building, the Chateau Laurier, and Major's Hill Park.


The path to the gallery spaces heads up this long ramp (with elevators for those who require that). It leads to the glass tower. 


Once in the glass tower otherwise called the Great Hall, I photographed this corridor leading off to the north.


And I framed Parliament Hill from here as well.


The look of the glass tower is irresistible for the photographer.


This was the reason for my visit, to get another look at the Alex Janvier exhibit before it closed; it is in its final days, ending on Easter Monday. I showed you some of the retrospective from my last visit back in January. We'll start looking at some more of it tomorrow.

34 comments:

  1. Reminds me in many ways of Berlin's Potsdamer Platz.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The glass tower is amazing! Wonderful architecture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the building, so wonderful designed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Tomas: thank you!

    @Francisco: thanks!

    @Whisk: so do I.

    @Revrunner: I can see that.

    @Marleen: the building itself is art.

    @Marianne: the architect did beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...what an amazing building!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing, especially the photos of the glass tower !

    ReplyDelete
  7. That gallery is such a pretty place. I like that top photo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They made some very impressive additions.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good Lord, you could spend a lifetime in that particular area, wandering around, going to church, visiting the gallery, etc. Nice photos, too, William!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing this, William

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great captures, William, and I love the sky in your outside photos!

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Tom: it is!

    @Karl: I love the architecture here.

    @Sharon: the building suits its collection well.

    @Red: you'd have probably seen the former location on Elgin as well- they tore the building down some years ago, and I'd never been inside. They replaced it with a new government building named after Jim Flaherty- a month after his death. Before that, the Gallery would have been housed in what's today home exclusively to the Museum of Nature, and it started out in space on Parliament Hill in the 19th century.

    @Lowell: I enjoy coming to this gallery!

    @Cloudia: you're welcome.

    @Linda: thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great photos of a beautiful building. I like the first 2 photos.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great collection of pictures. #4 is my favourite. Nice framed.

    ReplyDelete
  15. you always seem to find the coolest hallways, art and decor. nice!! ( ;

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well framed photography, William. Those glass topped corridors are quite impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the glass tower, it's pretty impressive. Nice images William.

    ReplyDelete
  18. @Halcyon: it is!

    @Nancy: thanks!

    @Klara: thank you.

    @Beth: I love visiting this place.

    @Catalyst: the building pretty much does the framing of photography for you, in many ways!

    @Bill: it's a marvelous work of architecture.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a place! I like all the glass.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those twin spires certainly are good landmarks.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The great hall and the glass tower are both stunning. And what a setting, too. Great views of the area.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks like a fantastic place!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great photos William! I'm not a huge fan of "modern" architecture, but I would love to be in and around this place with my camera. So many interesting lines and shapes.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This building is very impressive. As is the tulip display in your header. Amazing what a difference a couple of months can make.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great place, but with snow and ice.... it looks very cold.
    I look forward to all the tulips you have in your city.

    Anyway, Happy Easter Holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Whoops... too late for me. I am reading backwards!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. @Lois: so do I.

    @Kate: they are!

    @Mari: it does.

    @Kay: thanks!

    @Linda: it is.

    ReplyDelete
  28. @Pat: I love the architecture for this one.

    @ODP: thank you.

    @Gunn: cold's good!

    @Norma: that it is.

    @Jennifer: you'd have enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete